“I tried networking once. It didn’t work!”
Yes! This is an actual quote from a financial advisor. Sad!
Networking for financial advisors is not just going to networking events – which even “The Referral Coach” loathes. Networking is forming our own “community” of mutually beneficial relationships. And it can be done without ever going to a single networking event.
And don’t forget… It’s not called, “Net-sit” or “Net-eat.” It’s called “Net-work” for a reason. Forming a great network of folks who can help you build your business does take some effort. The good news is that most of the time that effort can be fun!
In this episode, Bill Cates interviews Michael Goldberg, author of Knock Out Networking as well as a consultant and trainer to financial professionals for decades.
With unusually fun and lively banter, Bill and Michael discuss:
- How Michael’s career as an amateur boxer (hence “Knockout Networking”) informs how he helps advisors become successful networkers.
- Why effective networking for financial advisors goes beyond just attending events, emphasizing that it’s a verb that can be applied in a variety of ways, including social media (LinkedIn, etc.)
- How the pandemic made people more intentional about networking, and how that intentionality is helping advisors achieve better results.
- Why and how focusing on a clear target market makes networking for financial advisors easier and more productive.
- Michael’s three goals for networking events (if you do choose to go this route), and how to break the ice to have more meaningful conversations while you’re there.
- The importance of preparation for networking events.
- The difference between networking and selling, and how prospecting at events can be unattractive and off putting.
- How to answer the dreaded, “What do you do?” with Michael’s PEEC Statement formula.
- The importance of time blocking and owning your calendar to manage your time properly and make the most of networking activities.
- …And more!
Connect With Bill Cates:
- Referral Coach Homepage
- Hire Bill for Coaching
- Enroll in The Cates Academy™
Connect With Michael Goldberg:
About Michael Goldberg:
Michael Goldberg has helped financial advisors, brokers, agents, reps, wholesalers, and other sales producers add hundreds of thousands of dollars to their bottom line.
His firm Knock Out Networking, LLC is renowned as a speaking and training resource in the financial services industry. Described by clients as “dynamic and motivational”, Michael is a master at invigorating and engaging audiences. His knock-out style is “in your face” and high energy. His content is real world and can be applied immediately. Michael speaks at conferences and associations, runs sales meetings, and delivers results-driven programs on networking, referral marketing, and sales presentations.
“It’s all about Connection” – Michael Goldberg
Boxing, like networking, is a contact sport. The more and better connections you make, the more wildly successful you will be. The state of growing a business and gaining more market share for your top performers is becoming more challenging. Despite technology and all that it has allowed us to accomplish, those with the most contacts, the best relationships, and a greater understanding of how to utilize them will achieve the most success.